The Trials and Tribulations of Trying to Pee While Depressed is the seventh episode of the first season of Euphoria, and the seventh episode of the series overall. It was released on July 28, 2019 on HBO.
- For the episode transcript, see here.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Plot[edit | edit source]
This episode begins with a look at Cassie’s childhood. Her potential rise to ice-skating fame fizzles out, because of financial issues with her father before we see Cass grow into a teenager. Here, we see her good looks change everyone’s perceptions of her. Family relations begin to break down and her father falls off the wagon. This catches us up with present day Cassie who takes a pregnancy test and stares into space, shocked: She’s pregnant.
Tyler Clarkson is imprisoned for what happened to Maddy while Rue goes on a mission to find out exactly what happened, sensing there’s more to the tale than meets the eye. She visualizes herself and Lexi as noir detectives, coming up with theories regarding Nate and Jules.
Cassie tells the other girls that she’s going to confess everything that happened with Daniel to McKay. Maddy tells her not to while Kat chimes in by grilling Maddy about Nate. She curses Kat and laments her new attitude, prompting her to leave, crying. Cassie asks Lexi what she would do and her sister advises her not to say anything.
Rue has trouble adjusting to her mother's new boyfriend and after a pretty awkward conversation between the two, Jules and Rue’s relationship continues to sour while Rue watches an obscene amount of Love Island. After visiting Fezco, she has hallucinations around the drugs laid out on the side asking her to eat them. She manages to resist temptation though but instead, falls into a suffocating, endless loop of depression.
Meanwhile, Jules gets on a bus and heads off to see old friends. Singing in a car, she hangs out the sunroof completely carefree. Jules meets another friend and they put on make-up together while discussing their lives and eventually joins them for a night out in a club.
High as a kite, Jules debates whether to text Rue before kissing Anna in the club, all the while cutting back to Rue who continues to have issues with her kidneys. Nate, clad in shimmering make up, arrives soon after and apologies to Jules for everything. However, as the two begin kissing, it's evident Jules is simply hallucinating him in the place of Annie and engages in oral sex.
Cass does eventually tell McKay she’s pregnant and the two discuss the ramifications of this on their future while Kat has an uneasy webcam conversation with someone using a black screen and a voice distorter.
Nate and Maddy then show up at the petrol station Fezco works at. He asks Nate to stop going after Rue and squares up to him, prompting Nate to set his sights on the drug dealer. Unblinking, Fezco tells him if he keeps messing with Rue and her friends he’ll kill him. However, later that evening the police get a tip-off from Nate who arrive at Fezco’s while he and Ashtray do their best to flush all their gear.
Rue is found by her mother lying on the floor, the latter helps her and bathes her. Jules texts Rue, telling her that she missed her.
Credits[edit | edit source]
Cast[edit | edit source]
Starring[edit | edit source]
Guest Starring[edit | edit source]
Co-Starring[edit | edit source]
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "When reality TV begins to feel like work, like, final season of Mad Men work, you know you're depressed. Like, haven't got out of bed to pee in 24 hours depressed"
- Rue narrating as she lies in bed watching Love Island.
- "I'm Morgan fuckin' Freeman and this is the beginning of the third act"
- Rue adressing Nate as a police officer during her manic state.
- "You just need to sit your manic ass down, and be quiet for five fuckin' minutes, Rue"
- "The other thing about depression is it kind of collapses time. Suddenly, you find your whole days blending together to create one endless and suffocating loop. So you find yourself trying to remember the things that made you happy. But slowly, your brain begins to erase every memory that ever brought you joy. And eventually, all you can think about is how life has always been this way. And will only continue to be this way"
- Rue narrating during a montage of her distracted in school, depressed, happy with Jules and finally depressed lying in bed watching reality TV again.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When Tyler is being booked in the beginning of the episode, a title screen reads "Saturday, October 31". However, the first season is set in the fall of 2018 and Halloween fell on a Wednesday that year.
Multimedia[edit | edit source]
Soundtrack[edit | edit source]
|Didn't I (Blow Your Mind This Time)||The Delfonics||The Delfonics||Young Cassie's life; Cassie growing up.|
|Eli's Coming||Three Dog Night||Suitable For Framing||Cassie's mom drunk on the dancefloor.|
|We All Knew||Labrinth||Euphoria (Original Score from the HBO Series)||Cassie's dad in the hospital after the car accident.|
|Vibes||Labrinth||Plays while Jules and Anna in the car.|
|I'm Not In Love||Kelsey Lu||Blood||Plays while Jules is high.|
|Every Single Night||Fiona Apple||Fiona Apple The Idler Wheel...||Song of the credits|
|Be Mine||Amandla Stenberg||Everything, Everything (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)||Jules on the train/bus going to meet her friend.|
|Reverie||Arca||Arca||When Jules is at the rave.|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
"Pilot" • "Stuntin' Like My Daddy" • "Made You Look" • "Shook Ones Pt. II" • "'03 Bonnie and Clyde" • "The Next Episode" • "The Trials and Tribulations of Trying to Pee While Depressed" • "And Salt the Earth Behind You"