- Rue: "I don't want to fight with you."
- Jules: "I don't want to fight with you, either."
- Rue: "You have to understand that I just want you to be safe, okay? I just, I don't want anything bad to happen to you. And, you know, you just can't be mad at me for wanting you to be okay. You can say I'm being anxious, you know? Just... It hurts my heart too much. And... It just, I..."
- Jules: "I'm not mad at you."
- Rue: "You're the best thing that's happened to me in a really long time, and I just don't want... anything bad to happen, so please don't be mad at me. Just don't be mad."
- Jules: "I'm sorry. I get it. I love you. I really do."
- Rue: "I love you, too."
Rue and Jules finally meet at the end of Pilot, Rue is immediately mesmerized by her. The two go back to Jules' house, and Rue helps clean up a cut on Jules' arm. As the two lie side by side on Jules' bed and Rue tenderly moves a lock of hair away from Jules' face, the tone is set. There's an intimacy between these two, the start of a friendship, and maybe something more.